Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Monday, May 5, 2014

"Royal Mail, Charm Square Pouch and new flowers."

Hello,

Happy Monday.

I received some Royal Mail last week.


 No not those Royals. These ones are from the latest Peter Alexander catalogue.


This is the Royal Mail that I received, a lovely pink parcel from Clare.


 Clare recently had a giveaway on her blog. The great thing Clare is joining in this year is called "Stitch from Stash."  So all the prizes came from her stash. I was especially pleased to find a piece of 32 count linen in the parcel. Thanks so much Clare.


 Julia gifted  me a lovely pack of charm squares late last year. I have had them out on the ironing board in the sewing room chopping and changing them around to see what I could make with them. I did think about a cushion then maybe they could be attached to a cross stitch I am working on. I decided in the end a pouch would be a good choice and so useful. I was given the machine embroidery sample from one of the ladies in my monthly sewing group so wanted to use that up. With the addition of some lovely cotton edging  gifted from Lisa it all came together. The centre blue square in the top row is actually some blue 14 count Aida, there was a odd number of squares in the pack.


 This is the other side, brown toned fabrics down the bottom with green along the top. I added some ric-rac to this side from my stash. Calico was used for the lining and the zipper was re-cycled from a plastic make-up bag that Lucy had.  I made the pattern up as I went along.


We recently purchased some tough plants for the garden. Well I hope they will be tough enough to survive next Summer. My favourite little purchase has got to be this "Cosmos Diversifolius" a little perennial Cosmos.


It grows in part shade, I have it underneath a Rose. It grows 45 cm high and 2 metres wide. The flowers are not much bigger than my thumbnail.

I had a computer free weekend. It was so enjoyable, I had my head in a book most of the time. Carole Mathews  latest book called "A place to call home" I have read most of her books and always find them easy to read and she makes you feel like you are there.

Hope you all have a wonderful week, would love to hear what you have been up to.

Happy days.
Bev C

16 comments:

Fiona said...

that's a fun parcel to get ..... and lovely pouch made from your charms.... I do love Cosmos... it is such a pretty and simple flower...
Hugz

marina said...

a lovely parcel of cross stitchy goodies.
Your zipper pouch is so pretty, love the stitched design.
hope your plants take off in the garden.

Bobbie Lynn said...

Good morning Bev,
Lovely give away. Another good way to use charms and I have one that has also been sitting in my stash and maybe a pouch would be a good way to use it.
Love your new cosmos and the flower is so small too, sweet.
I have been busy with some sewing. I made more baby bibs. I hope to post then this week. I picked my first summer squash and maybe today I will be able to pick some grape tomatoes as well. The weather last week has been very hot and dry but this week we will be back down (20 degrees cooler) in the min 70's.
this week, writing out my Mother's day cards and doing another tea towel. I'm going to try to applique this time. All good things.
Have a wonderful week Bev.
Blessings,
Bobbie Lynn

Terri said...

Great mail days! It's fun to see what you're making. I adore cosmos, so I hope I remember to plant them this upcoming summer. We planted pansies over the weekend, since they are a great early spring flower in this part of the world. Happy dayz

Christine M said...

Lovely win, Bev. Your pouches are lovely too.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Congratulations Bev on your win! Love the cosmos...we had some in a place we lived at and it came back for quite a few years...just lovely! Awesome pouches too!

Julia said...

Great win Bev and the pouch is lovely. I never know what to do with charm precuts, I will remember your pouch next time I need a project for them
Is that book the same story as the series on TV, I love that series ?..
Julia ♥

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful parcel you received Bev and love the pics of your flowers,and love those bags,well done.xx

Sue said...

Bev, your post is just like Kianga! A wonderful mix of stitching,sewing,gardening and recycling........the only thing missing today's post is cooking but it's often there too. Thanks for showing us all your goodies and the royal family.

Karen said...

Lovely to see the gorgeous parcel you received. And the pouch does look like a great idea.
Good luck with the plants.

Mitzi said...

I love what you created with your parcel. The bluebirds are so sweet!

I grow cosmos here in Michigan. They are very hardy...

Cheryll said...

Great WiN...with lots of goodies! Your pouch is great...and I love those pretty LiTTLe flowers!
Thanks for sharing Bev. :)

Julie said...

Hi Bev ... a great win there - its always lovely to receive crafty packages in the mail :-)
I love your pouch you have made using up all your scraps. Also love the Cosmos flowers, they are usually so hardy.

Mrs Knitaddict said...

The perfect parcel for a creative person like you, Bev.
Everything is so pretty!
A kiss,
Dolly

Aida said...

Wow you have some beautiful presents there Bev.
Thank you for your visit. Hope you'll have a good weekend.

Blessings,
Aida

Lin said...

Pretty flower and a great little bag. xx