Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

"Be a Friend."

Hello,

Well, it is a much cooler day so I feel like blogging. Days of 44 Celsius are not my cup of tea. I do feel awful with this kind of weather but then you only have to look at blogs of people who are snowed in for ten days at a time. No wonder they call it cabin fever. The up side to the hot weather is a lovely dip in the pool.

The monthly sewing group I attend started up for the year yesterday. It was great to meet up with the ladies again and catch up on what has been going on and see new sewing projects.  I did hand sewing all day which I just love. I finished of another little table topper. A twin to the one called "Life's Pleasures." This one I called "Be a friend"


As you can see from the pattern packet I changed the pattern around quite a lot to suit the fabric pieces I had. I also changed the border colour to a darker blue check. This was quite accidental, I noticed the difference once I put this one and the other one next to each other and got a bit of a shock as I first thought I had turned the fabric over to the other side. Of course I hadn't, I had only pulled the fabric from a different pile of material. I think this darker blue suits it just as well if not better. The final size of this table topper is 12.25 inches square.

It was quite appropriate that when I got home from sewing yesterday I had received the beautiful Valentine's Day card from Bobbie Lynn. Thanks Bobbie Lynn. I immediately put it on my sewing machine and will be using it as a bookmark. Would you believe the book I am reading at the moment is called "Tales from the country matchmaker" by Patricia Warren. It is about a lady in England who ran a matchmaking service for farmers. Do yourself a favour and check out Bobbie Lynn's beautiful card making and gardening, two skills she combines so beautifully.


The crochet cowl is finished. I used the two balls of wool and it finishes where the top
button of your shirt is when it is wrapped around my neck. I found a lovely pink flower button in the button tin, which you can just see on the right hand side, this and the crochet loop holds the cowl just right. Rather pleased with this one.

Enjoy the weekend.
Bev C

22 comments:

Simone de Klerk said...

Love the Be a Friend quilt and the changes you made. Makes it more,special.
Beautiful crochet and such a sweet button.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Glad you enjoyed your stitching day Bev. Sweet table topper. Hope cooler weather is not too far away for you. We have had a lovely day today ....gave us time for our webbed feet to dry out.

Maria said...

Yes it is sew nice enjoying the cooler weather...
Lovely to spend the day with your friends stitching.

Cheryll said...

Love the cowl... and the colour is a sweet and pretty pink! Sounds like a great day spent with friends too! :)

aussiequilter said...

I know what you mean about the heat Bev-we are also experiencing hot weather although not as bad as you but the humidity is what debilitates you here! love catching up on your blog xo cheers teri

Teresa said...

Our day started off nice and cool but then it heated up throughout the day and its 32 degrees at 9 pm!!!! Aargh! Your table topper is lovely Bev and I absolutely adore your cowl! Just beautiful! X

village folk art said...

Your cowl is wonderful. I do not crochet and dare not to learn...that's all I need is one more project.
Lucky you...it is beautiful!

Teresa F. said...

Lovely projects. The pink cowl is adorable. I could use one today as it's 5º celsius here.
Hugs,
Teresa

Lounging with a Latte said...

I agree, I think I would prefer hot weather than being snowed in, it would be much more restricting. Pretty cowl!

Christine M said...

Glad things have cooled down for you a bit Bev. Your little table topper is lovely.

Unknown said...

So pleased your weather has cooled and that you may be in for a shower or 2?
It is lovely to meet up with like minded ppl.. :))
Your table topper is lovely and I like the way you have chosen different ways of using the pattern :))
happy crafting Pat..:))

Angie in SoCal said...

What lovely two finishes! Thanks for linking to Applique Thursday and good luck!

Terriaw said...

What a sweet little sewing project! I love hearing about your sewing group. How lovely it would be to have a day warm enough for a dip in the pool. We're still covered in snow in these parts.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Great work Bev....and boy 44 is hot....I thought around 30 was bad enough!

Bobbie Lynn said...

Hello Bev,
Your crocheting is beautiful. You do just about every kind of needle work out there, Amazing! Have a wonderful day.
Blessings to you kind friend,
Bobbie Lynn : )

Julie said...

Hello Bev - just love the little table topper & also your cowl - looks very soft wool.
Yes hot here too - I have a new fan for my sewing room so its now nice & cool in there.
Have a lovely week Bev, Julie :-)

Lynda said...

Very hot days at your place and we've been having lots of rain. The cowl is very pretty Bev, and so is Be a Friend.

Nicky said...

Hi Bev
Your little table topper is lovely, there is a lot of hand stitching there. I love the pink cowl, it is such a pretty shade, and will keep you warm(when your weather finally cools down!)
Nicky x

Jess said...

This table topper is beautiful,
as the other one in the previous post Lovely works!
Saludos : )

Wendy said...

I cannot imagine 40 degrees, we think it's hot at 29! Your table topper and cowl are lovely, such a`pretty pink.

Karen said...

Your table topper looks great. Love the colours you have selected.
Your crochet cowl is lovely, too.

Kat said...

I adore your little table topper, especially the ladybug fabric you used for the binding. So sweet! The colors looks lovely together, I may have to look for that pattern! Your cowl is beautiful. I do not know how to crochet (I have enough of a fabric addiction... can't imagine if I started with yarn too!) Have a wonderful day and thanks for stopping by my blog!