Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Monday, November 12, 2012

"The Eco Owl Cross Stitch."

Hello,

Happy Monday.


The past week I have been cross stitching. A lovely pattern of a owl I found on-line. I used the Aida cloth I had dyed with Eucalyptus leaves. I thought this pattern suited the cloth, both being part of nature.


The pattern said the stitched design was 60 by 60 in actual fact it was 80 by 80. I soon found out the thread I was using was not going to do all the pattern. I only had that one skein of thread, a brand called  MTM which is made in India. It was lovely to stitch with. I used a Semco thread for the remaining dark brown. I was originally going to make the cross stitch into a little pillow ornament until last night when I decided a little wall hanging would be more suitable. I had picked up the hanger at a craft fair that was on in the local parish hall on the weekend. For the backing binding and border I used calico that I had dyed with brown onion skins a while back. The colours don't show up so well in the photo but I can assure you there is a lovely effect achieved by the dyeing of the fabrics.The buttons and other fabric came from the lot Lisa sent me. So all in all a lovely project made with love from bits and pieces from the sewing room.

I did mention the craft fair Ian and I went to on Saturday. It was the best organised fair I have been to. You entered the hall and were able to peruse the stalls. If you wanted to buy something you took it to the person who was collecting the payment at the door. There was a lady doing some spinning. Why is it that when you watch someone spinning it just makes you relax. Imagine how relaxed they are. I have always wanted a spinning wheel. Not to spin with but to "just have".

On the home front, life continues to be rather busy. I thought October was busy with people coming and going but it seems November is much the same. Ainsley and Julian arrived back last night from a couple of weeks in Dubai. They got to see the Formula One racing which I know Julian would have loved. Ainsley would have enjoyed the concerts that were on each night. Lucy spent Saturday volunteering at McHappy Day, dressed as a pirate and helped out on the bouncy castle. We called in and found all the staff bouncing on the castle. It seems bouncy castles were the favourite place to be on the weekend because when we went to the craft fair the lady who was taking the money had just jumped off the bouncy castle too. On Sunday Lucy fulfilled a lifelong dream to attend Telethon. She got to see Molly Meldrum, stars from Home and Away and Winners and Loosers etc. Bonnie is recovering from a virus that knocked her out for the past week. We thought she had Glandular fever so she was pleased when the test came back negative. Her glands in the neck are finally coming down and she is finally able to open her mouth enough to eat. David has taken to blending heaps of fruit and vegetables in the blender. They are rather delicious and I can't believe he is even adding Broccoli which I am sure he doesn't eat otherwise. So I guess you could say a busy family is a happy family.

Happy Monday
Bev C


17 comments:

Nat Palaskas said...

Good work Bev, the dyed fabric for cross-stitch turned out beautifully. I love the fabric you used for the sides too - Lovely job - Have a happy Monday - hugs Nat

Sweet Cinnamon Stitches said...

A gorgeous cross stitch Bev....dyeing with natural products give things lovely earthy/natural tones.
Have a great week Bev!
Cheers....Jane.

Terriaw said...

Wonderful to hear all the great things your family is up to these days. I haven't been to a craft fair in a couple years, but have had the itch lately with my new stationery just launched.

Lovely owl project! I've also had the itch to work on an embroidery project, but haven't had the time.

Kate said...

Your owl is quite lovely.

Jeanette said...

Beautiful cross stitch. Hugs,

Anonymous said...

gorgeous wall hanging Bev and boy lots going on over your way,take care.xx

Pauline said...

A healthy family, too, by the sounds of it. I've just spent about 15 mins surfing back through your posts, I haven't visited for ages. Too busy with Christmas gift making. The Marshmallow Shooters are going to be such a hit! Thanks heaps for the link.

Michelle said...

You sure sound busy but happy too!

Simone de Klerk said...

Lovely stitchery and I love the dye to the fabric.
It sure does sound busy with you. Glad the ill one is recovering!

rosie said...

Bev, your dyeing of fabrics is fascinating.. What you have done really suits the owl project.
Have a lovely week.
xx

Michelle Ridgway said...

Such a cute little owl Be. Lots going on in your neck of the woods or bush.

Terry said...

I love your owl! And it looks great the way you've finished it off! :0)

Anthea said...

Gorgeous owl Bev, a lovely design & I love the dying of the fabric - good job!
Sounds like a lot going on in your family, glad to read the your daughter doesn't have glandular fever, good wishes to her.
x

Mitzi said...

Doing your own dying with eucalyptus leaves? That's awesome! And I love how the owl turned out!

Lynda said...

Definitely a busy time at Kainga. I hope Bonny is much better soon. Love your owl cross stitch - he looks so lovely.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Just lovely! The dyed fabric for cross-stitch turned out beautifully. Wonderful to hear all the great things your family is up to these days!

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Wonderful work........the dyed fabric is beautiful! Sounds like you and your family are busy as ever!