Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Quilt,Christmas and Tomatoes to name a few.

Hello,

Today is the last day of September,can't believe how fast the year is going. Over the last couple of weeks I have been working on a quilt top. Doing about 15 minutes at a time. It has been one of those quilts you have to pin and pin and pin. Who said jelly rolls make quick quilts?


There is still a small border to go on yet. The pattern came from one of the Jelly Roll quilt books which I borrowed from the local library. I used the Jelly Roll I had won earlier on in the year for OPAM (One Project a Month)  The lime green is from the one I got at Good Sammy's. I think there is only scraps/strips of it left now.The big plan is to have it finished by the end of the year. I am thinking about hand quilting it. Though  those plans could change.


I have joined in the Sew Happy Sew Along. Now I am doing something different with the pattern each week rather than making the Christmas Swag. So last weeks pattern I stitched and  made up yesterday into a Mug Rug for a Christmas present. This way each week I will have a Christmas inspired present ready to give at Christmas time. With this one I used chain stitch instead of back stitch and used applique for the two hearts.


The vegie garden has been wonderful over Winter and the start of Spring. During Winter lots of tomato plants came up and were protected by the Broccoli and Cauliflower and as you can see we will have little Tomatoes to eat very soon. Usually the race is on to have Tomatoes before Christmas. The Broad Beans have started and we have had those each evening meal. They are lovely and tender, pick them when they are smaller for a tasty meal.

September was National Sewing Month but did you know it was also National Reading Month. There was a little book printed about 50 books you must read. A great source of new books. I have recently read a book by Carole Mathews called "The Only Way is Up". I really enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down. I have just received a note from the library to say another one is available. I would love to hear what you have been reading.

Enjoy the weekend.
Happy days.
Bev C

Happy days.

19 comments:

Nat Palaskas said...

Very colourful post with lovely and colourful quilt to share. Have a great weekend Bev

Bobbie Lynn said...

You amaze me with all your beautiful sewing projects and your garden too. Good luck with your quilt and I hope you get to hand quilt it. Have a wonderful weekend.
Blessings,
Bobbie Lynn

Michelle said...

The quilt looks great... it will be worth all the pinning! You always amaze and inspire me with your garden must go out and buy some tomato plants:O)

Anonymous said...

great post Bev and your quilt is lovely and i love what you have made with the santa embroidery,well done

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Beautiful quilt, Bev! :) I'll have to check into that book. Thanks for sharing!

Fiona said...

Love the quilt but yes, not necessarily quick with sew, measure, cut , sew.... we are quite mad arent' we?
Hugz

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

I agree Bev the year has just flown by!!! Good on you for doing 15 minutes a day...at the moment I am reading the Union Quilters...the latest in the Elm Creek series!!! Dzintra

Simone de Klerk said...

I just love your jelly roll quilt! Great with the green sashing!
And a good idea to make small projects from those stitcheries instead of another big quilt.
Have a lovely start of the new month and a beautiful weekend.

Melody said...

Gorgeous sewing and thanks to your inspiration I have little green tomatoes on my hydroponic tomatoes already. Mine should be ripe soon.

Maria said...

Lovely Quilt Bev. Boy that green fabric has gone a long way.
Great idea for the stitchery, nice gift.
The tomatoes look yummy.

Karen said...

Great to see your jelly roll quilt. Love the way the colours have worked together. So cheery!
I like your idea to use the stitcheries to make one thing at a time. That will give you quite a few gifts for Christmas.

Terriaw said...

I adore your new Christmas quilt! Cool colors and cool pattern. Looks like a fun project to work on.

Love that adorable CHristmas mug rug too! So fun to see holiday stitchery starting to pop up. I definitely need to find a stitchery project to work on.

Dolores said...

I love your quilt and I do hope you get to hand quilt it. That Santa is so cute. you are keeping busy.

Sue said...

Il ove the colours you've put into you Jelly roll quilt. Yummy.

Margaret said...

Hand quilting means lots and lots of pins, but hey quilters have all the time in the world, to do their best, good looking quilt and tomatoes already , Wow!

Astrid said...

OOH! I love your lime quilt! It's so colorful and looks so 'fresh'! Great idea with the mug rug too, very cute Christmas mug rug! Reading? I'm currently reading 'The Ciderhouse Rules' by John Irving...

rosie said...

Hi Bev, how did you get tomatoes already? I really must get my vegie garden in order.. We have had a nasty flu and it eats a hole in your time!! Love your quilt and little stitchery...

Narelle said...

Your quilt is lovely and bright. I'd be interested to learn the title of the book you found it in.
I do have a problem with pins though ... think I'm almost alergic to them and don't use them as often as I should :)

SewCalGal said...

Very cute Christmas Mug Rug. I hope you'll consider entering the upcoming Christmas Quilt Show (http://sewcalgal.blogspot.com/p/christmas-quilt-show.html).

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com