Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Monday, June 20, 2011

"Makes Me Happy Monday"

Hello,

Happy Monday to you all. I hope you had a fabulous weekend. Last week I had a bit of fun with some blue food colouring.


I went out an picked two buds of "Blushing Pink Iceberg" this is similar to the "Iceberg" rose but has a pink tinge to it particularly when the weather is colder. I added some blue colouring and within a few minutes the edges of the petals started turning blue. It was interesting to watch its progress over the next few days.
So I am happy that there is such a thing as a Blue Rose!!!

I am also very happy that Ainsley and Bonnie had a wonderful week in Bali and arrived home safely on Friday. Of course they had no idea about the ash cloud from the volcano in Chile closing the Perth airport during the week or the goings on in Indonesia last week. I was certainly glad to have them back on home soil.

What is making you happy this Monday?

Happy days.
Bev C

18 comments:

Pauline said...

So the blue rose really exists? I'll be on the look out for the blue moon as soon as the weather clears.

Valspierssews said...

The roses look lovely. Amazing how much the dye stands out. I am sure you are relieved to have the travelers back.

Anonymous said...

Bev these flowers are stunning i love the blue and glad the travellers are back safe and sound,it is always a worry when overseas.

Karen said...

Always good to have people back where they belong.
Love the effect from the blue colouring - gorgeous!!!

Michelle Ridgway said...

So is that how we get blue coloued flowers in our bouquets? Hmmm!

Lurline said...

Oh, we used to do that as kids - using lilies and ink - I'm tempted!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Maria said...

What fun, lue roses.

It is always nice when the kids are home again from overseas.
My DD2 and family are off to Scandinavia soon and I do worry.

I am happy sitting here reading your post.

Sue said...

I love your blue roses. I've done that with Carnations but too long ago to remember......These are much better.

rosie said...

So that's how they do it!! Glad you have the travellers safe and sound..xx

Lounging with a Latte said...

Wow, what a great idea with the blue food colouring...amazing...must try it!! Flights in SA are grounded again tomorrow due to the ash coming back around...what a pain for the airlines!

Terriaw said...

Wow, that is really beautiful! I never thought of trying that. How cool to see what would happen. It's really foggy here today, so I think sewing will make me happy this Monday!

Eggs In My Pocket said...

How wonderful to make these turn to blue! You could just do any color you like, couldn't you? This Monday, I am happy, because for once the wind and dirt is not blowing, and I have a full day to stitch! Have a good week! blessings,Kathleen

Simone de Klerk said...

Amazing how blue water works. I never knew it would go so fast!
How are you going to call this one, as I am certain it doesn't have a name.

Anonymous said...

Glad the travellers have returned safe and sound and wow! your blue Rose is stunning! We tried the food dye thing once but without much success - I can't even remember what we tried it with now lol.

Making me happy this Monday - fabulous friends :-)

Bobbie Lynn said...

Hello Bev,
Good to hear that Bonnie and Ainsley are back home. Bali, what an interesting place to visit. Those volcanoes have been busy lately.
I just love the food color of your rose. I have not tried that. Really neat. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day.

Nat Palaskas said...

Blue rose looks interesting. I have iceburg in my garden. Will try that sometimes! Oh what make me happy on Monday? Go to work maybe :) Have a nice weekend Bev - Hugs Nat

Melody said...

How amazing. I've still got a couple of white roses blooming - I'm going to try this.

Jen said...

Wow!! - that is incredible!! I have never heard of that before but I must try it :)! That must be how those florists get all the amazing and strong colours for some bouquets!

Hope you are well Bev, and have a great week!
Hugs
jen xo