Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Monday, September 28, 2009

"Crow Quilt" finished,and a Garden to see.

Hello,
I had sewing on Friday and managed to get the binding on my "Crow Quilt". Last week I got this ready for quilting. I had posted about this quilt back in March so I felt it was well and truly time to get it finished. It was in The Australian Homespun Magazine. Volume 9.10. I made it bigger as I used 5 inch squares instead of 4 inch squares.
I got some leaves from the gum trees and used these as templates. Leaves were sewn around the tree and on the ground.

As there were stars in the material in the top part of the quilt I decided to look on the net for star patterns. Then I thought why not make this quilt truly Australian so I searched for a template for the Australian Flag and found this wonderful site from
the Australian Government. It even has some designs for the State Floral Emblems which would make some great redwork stitchery's. I enlarged the template to fit the quilt. I used the bigger edge of my Wavy Edge Ruler to quilt a pattern in the border. I used calico with a strip of the check material which is in the quilt for the backing. With it being fairly plain the quilting pattern shows up well on the back.


On Saturday I went to an Open Garden in York at Wansborough House. This was part of The Australian Open Garden Scheme.There were an acre of gardens and we got a very imformative talk about the House and Cottage and were allowed through some of the House and the Cottage which is running as a Bed and Breakfast.The Cottage was built in about 1859 then the house was built a little later.
The Wisteria was in full flower outside the Cottage.



This photo shows some of the old items around the Studio which is a building at the back of the House and Cottage.Today is a Public Holiday here for the Queens Birthday and the Royal Show. So lots more gardening can be done today. Yesterday was spent weeding and chopping down some trees.
Happy days.
Bev C




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the intricate detail on your quilt - so beautiful. Also, the wisteria blooms are so pretty; I bet the fragrance was heavenly! Hope you have a great week.
Thanks for visiting my blog - no, I have never visited that theatre but sure would love to.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi Bev...that is a great quilt made truly Aussie by you!!! Lucky you having a holiday over there today...have a lovely day in your garden♥x

Pauline said...

Love your crow quilt. That garden you visited sounds wonderful. Hope you had fun in the garden. I'm all but better today but my voice deserts me from time to time still. I'm the only one complaining about that!!

Simone de Klerk said...

Bev, a lovely quilt and some wonderful quilting! You really did a great job (O:

Miriam said...

I love that wisteria!!!

Your crow quilt is wonderful!

Thanks for the link to the Austrlalian Government site.

Bobbie Lynn said...

Hello Bev:

Another wonderful quilt and what a great way to incorporate nature too. You are a true inspirational quilter. : ) Thanks for sharing the lovely garden and what a beautiful wisteria.

chris said...

Hi Bev, just love your Crow Quilt and the gum leaves - makes me feel homesick as we don't have crows here. Luck in some respects I suppose!
Thanks for the Aust. Govt. link - I spent quite some time looking at that. Enjoy the hoildays. C x

Jossie said...

It is a beautiful quilt Bev, and I love the idea of quilting gum leaves. So very Australian!