Kainga, where Roses bloom, life is lived at a gentler pace.Living Simply, doing all those good things like stitching, gardening, cooking and reading.

Monday, March 30, 2009

How to Marble fabric.

Hello,

Last week Lucy helped me to Marble some white homespun material. To do this you need very little equipment. Most importantly you need Marbling Dye, these are available at a artist's supply shop. A container big enough to hold what you are dyeing. This time I used a baking dish but previously I have used a cat's litter tray(new). You also need a wooden skewer. Firstly put some water into the container. Then add drops of dye. If you wish to make a swirled effect gently move the skewer through the paint.
You then gently place the material onto the top of the water and paint and let the paint adhere to the material.

Place the material outside on a flat surface to dry. These can then be be heat set with an iron.



I then used the squares to embroider my Wonky Houses Block of the Month.



With this dye you can also do the same process but with card or paper. I have had these paints for many years and the dye is still as good as the day I bought it. A little goes a long way. Natural materials such as cotton and homespun are the best to use for dyeing.This is a simple easy project to do and you end up with material that no-one else has. Go on give it a try.
Happy days.
Bev C


1 comment:

Simone de Klerk said...

Very impressive. I really like this!